Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beef Bourguignon>Chef Mickey's @ Disney's Contemporary Resort

This meal was wonderful. And it really wasn't that hard to prepare.

3 tblspn olive oil
2 lbs beef tips cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups diced Spanish onion
1 cuup quartered fresh crimini mushrooms
1 cup fresh button mushrooms
2 tblspn all-purpose flour
3 tblspn tomato paste
1 1/2 cups burgundy wine
1 tblspn coarse salt
1 tspn freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 cup beef broth
4 tblspn butter, softened

1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Sear the beef tips well on all sides, cooking for 5 to 8 minutes.

2. Add onions, mushrooms, flour, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in salt, pepper, bay leaves and beef broth.
(I also added a garlic mixture, and some complete seasoning by Badia)

3. Cover with tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low; simmer about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(Depending on what grade of meat you buy it may take longer for the meat to tender-I know for me it took a little over an hour b/c I was cheap.)

4. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve immediately.
(Just b/c I like the taste I used 5 1/2 tablespoons of butter)

Note: Serve over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
( We used egg noodles)

Okay, its me again. Here are a few thoughts on the recipe to be able to call it your own.
*If you like mushrooms add more-I bought the mushrooms in the containers at the store and didn't use all I had. I love mushrooms so I should have.
*I added a little more salt than called for-I salted to my taste and I was told it still could have used more.
Disney sells a brand of seasoning from THE SPICE & TEA EXCHANGE. From this company I used the Applewood smoked sea salt (for a very light smoky flavor) and I used Viks Garlic fix.
*Hindsight, I wish I had used paprika-I really enjoy the smoky flavor that it gives.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

This sounds like an interesting reciepe. I did not know that Disney sells special seasonings or that sea salt can v
be flavored like that. Cool. See, Iam already learning something! I like that you are adding opinions of your family and yourself. Denny makes an excellent beef potroast dish from Liberty Tree Tavern. Great first post!